A. R. Chesson Construction is working on an addition to the parish hall at St Thomas Episcopal Church in Bath, NC. The original church building was constructed in 1734 and is the oldest surviving church building in North Carolina.
St. Thomas Parish was established soon after the founding of Bath County, North Carolina in 1696 with the original church parishioners meeting in homes. Around 1700 Rev. Thomas Bray, founder of the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel in Foreign Parts in England, mailed books to St Thomas Parish, founding the first public library in the colony.
The church original building was constructed in 1734. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1970.